Here is the presentation video of the last beta model, final production design will be more polished:
- Model: 1704
- Build Volume (X-Y-Z): 100mm x 100mm x 130mm (apx 4″ x 4″ x 5″ / 80 cubic inches)
- Print Resolution: 100 Microns
- Print Speed: 80mm/sec max recommended
- Filament: 1.75mm PLA (sample included)
- Extruder: yes
- Auto Leveling: Auto-Leveling Probe works with software to calibrate Z axis height (see video)
- Print Bed: Not heated – 1/8″ 6061 aluminum (0.3mm level tolerance)
- Construction: _
- Belt: GT2
- Z Lead Screw: Acme 4 Start
- Pulleys: 20 tooth, dual flange GT2 aluminum
- Electronics: Printrbot Rev F5 Printrboard with USB B connection and micro SD card slot for untethered printing
- Software: Printrbot does not provide software, but recommends Cura v15.04 – available for free download.
- Power Requirements: 12V (6 amp) laptop power supply (included)
- Motors: NEMA 17 stepper.
- Overall Footprint: 16.6″ x 13″ x 11″ (L x W x H)
The Smalls is a small, portable, and versatile 3D printer kit for the hacker, maker, or student on a budget …not afraid to build a kit and engage in our community forum for support. Build volume begins at 4″ x 4″ x 5″ (X-Y-Z), but the possibility to expand is there with our upgrade kits (coming soon) or your own design whimsy.
The Smalls is perfect for customization. Paint the stock metal. Print your own parts out of any filament you like. Install almost any existing upgrade and/or accessory in the Printrbot store. Get the idea? Make the Smalls your own!
Construction decisions were pragmatic, using the right fabrication tool for each job: Pristine machined aluminum, water jet 5052 and 6061 aluminum plate, and just a dollop of 3D printed parts to give it that “reprap flavor”.
Okay, so how does it print? Since this is a kit, the results are largely up to you, but make no mistake. In the hands of an experienced user (like the ones we have here at PBHQ), the Smalls can produce results comparable to the Play, Simple, or Plus.
This absolutely is the lowest priced 3D printer we’ve ever released! (except for one other laser cut wood kit with fishing line instead of belts and sandpaper pulleys instead of real pulleys that was only available for a limited time until we corrected both price and some design problems …but let’s just keep that between us). It is definitely the least expensive printer that we will EVER, EVER release …that we know of. …for now.
We are pretty sure it is the most affordable American-Made 3D printer. Definitely the most economical Northern-California-Made 3D printer. Totally the most budget-friendly 3D printer manufactured in Lincoln, CA. Not “cheap”, just inexpensive.
Printrbot Smalls homepage:
Sub 300 USD market segment is certainly getting more interesting. Competition is a great thing!
We are still waiting for third party reviews and tests but Printrbot has a proven track record of making solid designs.
Here is a Facebook presentation by Brook Drumm: