Revolutionary machine or marketing hype? You decide ...
New 3D Systems Cube 3d printer is just presented by will.i.am under Ekocyle brand and it seems like it is using new type of a filament made from 25% PET or 3 recycled PET bottles called rPET.
Partnership with Coca Cola is involved in production of this machine, which makes sense, since Coca Cola is probably the biggest producer of PET bottles that are burden on environment and economy of waste management. It is better to make something out of those bottles then to just bury them in a landfill.
Personally I don't like printers that work only with propitiatory filament cartridges that are usually more expensive then generic filament, but this model gives more incentive to buy for consumers who are motivated by environment protection.
I understand that they want to sell their machines, but if you really want to improve environmental impact of Coca Cola why not sell the filament directly for lower prices?
Also I couldn't find the prince of filament cartridge itself.
One thing is sure: 3D System continues to lead in front of Makerbot-Stratasys who seem to stagnate.
Interesting development, video is only available on youtube with no information on 3d Systems pages. More to come soon ...
Here is official 3D Systems press release:
Here is what they write:
As explained by 3DS’ Chief Creative Officer will.i.am, the goal of EKOCYCLE is to "partner with the most influential brands around the world and use technology, art, style and inspiration to change an entire culture. We will make it cool to recycle, and we will make it cool to make products using recycled materials. This is the beginning of a more sustainable 3D-printed lifestyle. Waste is only waste if we waste it.”
Each EKOCYCLE cartridge is made in part from post-consumer recycled 20oz PET plastic bottles. New to home 3D printing, rPET is a flexible filament material that retains full durability. Cartridges for the EKOCYCLE Cube are available in a curated color palette of red, black, white and natural.
The EKOCYCLE Cube 3D printer is a plug and play consumer 3D printer for everyday use, priced at $1,199, and will be available at 3DS’ online consumer hub Cubify™. EKOCYCLE Cube printers are expected to commence commercial shipments during the second half of 2014. To sign up for updates, please visit Cubify.
- Setting a New Standard for How We Make: Each EKOCYCLE Cartridge turns the equivalent of 3 used bottles into your next wearable fashion, music accessory or desktop décor. Users will receive a free collection of 25 fashion, music and tech minded accessories, curated by will.i.am, to have fun 3D printing immediately.
- Remade Print Experience: Prints in beautiful 70-micron high resolution at fast speeds and up to 6” cubed in size, with ultra-fine supports for complex prints and a choice of easy auto settings or advanced settings. Auto-leveling ensures quality printability every time.
- Unlock the Limits of Style: EKOCYCLE Cube prints in simultaneous, dual color recycled plastic in a curated color palette of red, black, white and natural.
- Instant Load Cartridge: Instant material loading is now easier than changing an ink cartridge. Moisture-lock cartridges ensure extended shelf life and total material usage, improving print quality and sustainability. The cartridges are easy to load and store while preserving the life and quality of the materials.
- Convenience in the Palm of Your Hand: Enjoy the freedom of mobile printing direct from the Cubify app for iOS and Android. Find new things to print in the curated brand collections or browse the Design Feed for inspiration to add to your Shelf. Prep and print from your smartphone direct to the EKOCYCLE Cube.
- Easy to Use, Sleek Design: Building on the iconic Cube, the EKOCYCLE Cube features a color touchscreen with an intuitive user interface and sleek LEDs highlighting prints in action, and is equipped with faster Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, an auto-leveling print pad and easy supports removal for complex prints.
|will.i.am holds a PET bottle that is recycled to make filament which is used to print smartphone case|