Jul 1, 2013

Cortex 3D printed cast for bone fractures

Another 3d printed gamechanger in medical field. I had a cast on my arm for a month when I was 8 years old. It itches. It stinks. It is heavy. My arm looked like zombie hand when they took it off. I can see future for this application.

Video of Cortex 3d printed cast:



Update (21.4.2014.):

Cortex now comes with Ostoid ultrasonic bone repair. In the Osteoid case the ventilation openings are also used to implement a Low Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound (LIPUS) bones stimulation system, which needs to be applied directly to the skin and could thus not be used in traditional medical casts. Used in a daily 20 minute session, the LIPUS system would reduce healing times by 38% and increase the heal rate up to 80% in non-union fractures. The ultrasound pulse generator can be switched on and off through a button and has a colour switching LED that indicates operational states and session times.